I’m going to be honest with you, because I don’t know any other way. I’ve been pretty lax on my exercising, and I can’t completely figure out why. Am I depressed, sick, emotional? I just can’t pin point one thing. On the flip side to that, I’ve been feeling pretty bad about myself. Isn’t this always the tricky slope we all go on from time to time? This mean cycle that just keeps repeating itself over and over until we finally get tired enough to make a stand.
Well, folks, I made a stand. I went for a walk. I’ve been running for the last couple years on and off, and I’ve fallen in and out of love with the process every time. This time, I decided that I wasn’t going to pressure myself into running again, I’m just going to listen to my body and go for a walk. While I was walking and still being chased by dogs, and enjoying the beautiful 70º+ weather, (you know, we live in Texas, so it’s beautiful here right now) I started thinking about why we continue to go on this crazy fitness cycle. Why isn’t it easier to stick to a plan, or routine?
What I learned on this walk was that I wanted to run. My body was telling me that running is what I needed. I didn’t run the whole time, but I did run some. It was great too!
Here are some things that I want to share with you, that maybe will help you along the way to whatever lifestyle change, or fitness journey you are on. My list, my opinions. Feel free to create your own! Whatever helps to drive or motivate you, I think you should do it. Write it down, have a plan. Master the HELL out of that goal/plan!
- You are beautiful.– I know that it’s been said before, but you are. You’re beautiful. It’s taken me 32 years to really realize and be comfortable with that, but it’s true. We all are beautiful in our own special ways, and that’s what makes the world unique.
- You are strong. – Again, something I’ve struggled with a lot. Strong doesn’t mean you have to lift 300lbs in a back squat. Strong can mean that you fought your own battle and came out alive, and well. Whatever you are doing, whatever you are going through, you are strong for sticking with it. You are strong for fighting for what you believe in. Keep it up!
- DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE! – JUST DON’T DO IT! Believe me, I know this is tough. I know that it’s a hell of a lot easier said than done. Again, another thing I’ve battled with for a long time. Guess what?! It doesn’t make a freaking difference about what ANYONE else is doing. As the famous Dr. Seuss said: “Today you are you, that is truer than true, there’s no one alive, that is youer than you.” Believe that. Feed off of it. Use it as your own motivation.
- Believe in yourself. Whatever is going on in your life, whatever journey or struggle you might be facing. Believe in yourself and your abilities. You got this. You can do this! God won’t give you something you can’t handle. Handle whatever it is like a boss, and keep it moving! You will feel so much better about yourself once you do.
- Listen to your body. When you need to walk, walk. When you need to run, run. If you have to lay on the grass for 15 minutes and catch your breath, do that too. I promise you, if you really start listening to your body, and not your mind, you’ll be surprised with what you can accomplish.
- Love yourself. If you love yourself, you will respect, listen and believe in yourself. Why don’t we love ourselves enough to take time out of our days for US? No matter what it is, we are doing it for ourselves. Why do we make all these excuses as to why we can’t, and just think about ourselves? It’s not selfish to do something for yourself. Especially when what you are doing is helping yourself to be a better you.
- Above all. HAVE FUN! Whatever you are doing, have fun with it. If it’s not fun, try something else until it is fun. You have to be able to experiment to figure out what is best for YOU, and your life. What fits your needs the best, and something you are passionate about, and enjoy. I can promise you, if you don’t like it, you won’t keep it up.
This is my list for you all. Again, this has been a hard battle for me to overcome myself. I can promise though, little by little, if you continue on, you will form a routine, you will start believing in yourself, and you will continue on your journey. You’ll be amazed with the things you are capable of. Always know, there is someone out there who believes in you!!